Collet Pad Jaws

June 15, 2017
Collet Pad Jaws

Collet pad top jaw systems from Dillon Manufacturing Inc. can convert through-hole chucks to hold small bar and tube stock. Collet pads can be changed quickly maximizing production time, and the jaws can be adapted to many styles of chucks, making them ideal for special purpose function machining.

A collet pad top jaw system increase a chuck’s range of workholding capabilities, allowing more varied part geometries to be machined with the same jaw system. Full contact of gripping surfaces provides a more stable grip and allows heavier cuts resulting in shorter cycle times, according to the company.

Changing over to collet pad jaws is easily accomplished and requires just a jaw change. The time required to change jaws and collets is generally accomplished in a few minutes and is much quicker than changing entire chucks which may take up to several hours to complete the changeover. Machinists using collet pad jaws can maximize their chuck capabilities and investment by taking advantage of both chuck and collet pad work including the ability to run material that is hex or square in shape.

Dillon Manufacturing Inc. offers a complete line of both S-type and Warner & Swasey-type collet pads. Collet pad shapes include round, hex and square, with both smooth and serrated gripping surfaces available. The line also includes collet pad top jaws and W&S solid emergency collet pads.

Related Glossary Terms

  • chuck


    Workholding device that affixes to a mill, lathe or drill-press spindle. It holds a tool or workpiece by one end, allowing it to be rotated. May also be fitted to the machine table to hold a workpiece. Two or more adjustable jaws actually hold the tool or part. May be actuated manually, pneumatically, hydraulically or electrically. See collet.

  • collet


    Flexible-sided device that secures a tool or workpiece. Similar in function to a chuck, but can accommodate only a narrow size range. Typically provides greater gripping force and precision than a chuck. See chuck.

  • through-hole


    Hole or cavity cut in a solid shape that connects with other holes or extends all the way through the workpiece.