Related Glossary Terms
Workpiece is held in a chuck, mounted on a face plate or secured between centers and rotated while a cutting tool, normally a single-point tool, is fed into it along its periphery or across its end or face. Takes the form of straight turning (cutting along the periphery of the workpiece); taper turning (creating a taper); step turning (turning different-size diameters on the same work); chamfering (beveling an edge or shoulder); facing (cutting on an end); turning threads (usually external but can be internal); roughing (high-volume metal removal); and finishing (final light cuts). Performed on lathes, turning centers, chucking machines, automatic screw machines and similar machines.
Mitutoyo America Corporation is pleased to announce the release of the FORMTRACER Avant Series Contour and Surface Roughness measuring system. The FORMTRACER Avant is a revolutionary hybrid measuring system that measures advanced contour and surface roughness features with high precision, speed, flexibility and efficiency in one machine.
- Quick Sensor Exchange Without Turning Off Machine: The first of its kind, the Avant features a unique “Hot Swap” ability to quickly change between surface and contour detector heads without the need of tools or powering off the control unit.
- Stylus Protection Function: New stylus protection function controls the downward movement of the stylus, reducing risk of damaging the stylus tip.
- Easily Add/Retrofit Optional Detectors: All FORMTRACER Avant models can be upgraded and retrofitted with optional detectors for better measuring application versatility.
- Operation Keys Added to Remote Joystick Box: Operation keys are integrated with the remote joystick box, making part programming and work piece set up easier than ever before.
- Best-In-Class Drive Speed: The high-speed drive unit and column axis reduces set-up time, improving efficiency and increasing throughput.
- Unprecedented Versatility: “Hot swapping” heads along with an inclining X-axis drive, double-sided conical stylus for continuous measurements of upper/lower surfaces, and a wide variety of optional accessories to measure nearly any type of workpiece makes the Avant Series one of the most versatile machines of its type.