No-Fly Zone

Author Charles M. Boyles
May 01,2001 - 12:00pm

Related Glossary Terms

  • chuck


    Workholding device that affixes to a mill, lathe or drill-press spindle. It holds a tool or workpiece by one end, allowing it to be rotated. May also be fitted to the machine table to hold a workpiece. Two or more adjustable jaws actually hold the tool or part. May be actuated manually, pneumatically, hydraulically or electrically. See collet.

An effective chuck maintenance program clears the air of flying parts.

Read the Full Article


Charles M. Boyles, CPE, is technical editor for Cutting Tool Engineering.