December 2012 / IMTS 2012 Roundup
Sandvik Coromant builds ‘Smart Hub”
Sandvik Coromant’s ‘Smart Hub’ booth.
Sandvik Coromant Co., Fair Lawn, N.J. created a “Smart Hub” at its IMTS booth. The focus was on finding solutions for specific applications and demonstrating productivity-enhancing ideas.
Booth highlights included:
- Machine integration. Sandvik Coromant demonstrated how making smart choices about tooling, machine interface and technology integration can maximize output and reduce payback time on a machine investment.
- Gear Milling. The shift from high-speed steel to indexable carbide tools has led to new gear solutions for wind power, railway, mining and heavy vehicle machining. The company displayed innovations, application tips and techniques such as uP-Gear and InvoMilling.
- Hard Part Turning for Automotive. This part of the exhibit focused on CBN and diamond products available for machining hardened parts that address the trend toward more energy efficient components in automotive.
- Drilling. For applications such as plunge drilling, trepanning, stack drilling or non-rotating drilling, Sandvik Coromant focused on the challenges and variables of successful drilling operations, with a focus on improving hole quality and lowering cost per hole.
- Aerospace Machining. Tough materials and tight tolerances make aerospace machining a challenge. This part of the exhibit focused on optimizing programming techniques and selecting the right tools. The company focused on ceramic milling, composites and heat-resistant super alloys.